The Trainee Professional Development Award deadline has been extended to Tuesday, June 15 at 12:00 pm eastern time.
The Trainee Professional Development Award deadline has been extended to Tuesday, June 15 at 12:00 pm eastern time. If you haven’t already, we hope you will reach out to your student and postdocs and encourage them to apply. As a reminder, undergraduates are also eligible for this award.
Please see below for items the applicant will need to submit though the application portal on SfN.org:
- Completed application form (see below).
- Copy of the applicant’s abstract submission confirmation form for the upcoming SfN annual meeting including both the control/tracking number and the abstract.
- Applicant’s CV, including education, honors/awards, and publications (abstracts and manuscripts).
- Short essay (no more than 500 words) on how attendance at the annual meeting will impact your career goals (for undergraduates, or why you chose the path of neuroscience). Additionally, the essay should speak to a personal experience that has had a broader impact on your career in science. Examples of topics could include:
-A woman scientist who has inspired the applicant
-The importance of local advocacy and outreach efforts in neuroscience
-The importance of conducting rigorous science
- One-page letter of recommendation from the applicant’s mentor, advisor, chapter representative or program/department chair.
All application components must be submitted as a single PDF with documents arranged in the following order: application form, completed abstract, CV, short essay, and letter of recommendation. Applications that are not submitted in this format or are missing one or more of the application components will not be considered.
While it may look like a lot, most of what is listed above is clarifying information, and applicants should be able to gather these materials before the extended deadline. We hope you will encourage your students and postdocs to submit their applications with letters of recommendation from their chapter leader. Please let us know if you have any questions.